Losing a few or all of the teeth can put a person at a psychological, as well as a functional disadvantage. The patient wouldn’t be able to bite or chew food as they used to earlier, and their phonetics also takes a hit. This is why dentists advise patients with missing teeth to get them restored using prosthetic ones for better aesthetics and functionality of the mouth.
Dr. Khalil Mjahed is an experienced dentist based out of Monroe, NC and has treated hundreds of patients with missing teeth over his long-spanning career. His excellent methods of treatment ensure patients leave his practice with a satisfied and happy smile.
How can missing teeth be disadvantageous?
- Missing teeth can leave gaps in the smile, which is a huge psychological letdown. People who miss a few teeth may feel excessively conscious about their appearance while interacting with people. It can also lead to a lot of embarrassment.
- A gap between the teeth allows the remaining teeth to drift from their positions. This can alter the facial shape, the bite of a person and leave the teeth misaligned.
- Biting and chewing food would become increasingly difficult for patients with missing teeth. This can often apply a lot of unwanted forces on the adjoining teeth and cause pain in the jaws, head, neck, and shoulders.
What are dentures?
Dentures are one of the best solutions to replace missing teeth, especially if the number of missing teeth is more. They are ceramic prosthetic teeth held firmly using acrylic material, which also acts as the replacement of gum tissues. Metal components may also be used to hold the dentures in shape. Depending on the number of missing teeth to be replaced, they can be fabricated either as partial dentures or complete dentures.
Partial dentures are used to replace only a few selected teeth. Sometimes, when more than one tooth is lost (such as during an external trauma to the mouth), replacing them individually using bridges or implants could become complicated. Hence, dentists prefer using partial dentures to restore them. In most cases, they would be a combination of a metal framework combined with gum-colored acrylic and tooth-colored ceramic teeth.
Complete dentures replace all the missing teeth. They will be fabricated to fit perfectly in the mouth and offer the perfect bite and aesthetics. The patient can comfortably wear them and bite and chew food, pose for pictures, etc. Whenever you need to clean your mouth, you can easily take them off, clean your mouth, clean the dentures and put them back on. Also, they can be taken off before going to sleep.
Dentures At Our Uptown Monroe Office
- Dentures help a patient to regain their facial shape which would’ve been lost due to missing teeth. The face would look fuller and much younger.
- With dentures, the functionality of the mouth would be restored to normal.
- They are removable and you can take them off whenever you need to.
- They are very durable and strong. With proper care, they usually last for several years.